Libraries are established as a mission of attached knowledge. Libraries always go in company with man in the evolution of awareness, the development of vision, the development science, the preservation and promotion of culture. For today’s learning society, the importance of libraries hasn’t been reduced. With the strong rise of information and media technologies, the libraries are becoming richer and richer and more and more diversified. Reading and research on books for the purpose of studying, improving careers, and expanding the range of knowledge are the most popular method of self-study. The Libraries are cultural and educational institutions outside schools, or, in other words, they are second school for students, so, libraries play an important and essential role in developing readers’ self-study, especially students.
Information: Information is what people appreciate and define as knowledge and news (from Oxford English Dictionary), or “Information is the content that people attribute to data with known conventions (symbols) and use to present (Vietnamese Standard 5453-1991). Scientific and technological information also implies the content of the above definitions, but with narrow limits. According to Point III of Decision no. 11/2014/NĐ-CP, “Scientific and technological information is databases, facts, figures, and news created in scientific and technological activities and innovation”. Information resources are different from other resources in every country. The more national resources, like minerals are used, the more they will be exhausted and cannot be recreated. On the contrary, the more information resources are used, the richer and more developed they are, because everyone who uses information creates new one. In the world, there is now a huge difference between zones and countries about the two basic parameters, the level of science-education and the ability of reaching information-knowledge. 90 percent of scientists in the world are working in about 20 developed countries, 93 percent of inventions are recorded in these countries.
The Center of Information and Library plays very important roles in helping and guiding students in self-study and a self-research. This is one of the important roles of the University’s credit system.
orientation OF DEVELOPMENT of the center OF
information and library of Hung Vuong University In ho chi minh city
The Center of Information and Library of Hung Vuong University in Ho Chi Minh city (hereafter called Center), a functional unit of Hung Vuong University in Ho Chi Minh City (hereafter called University), has a function to advise the President in the management of information and documents, the Library in training educational activities and science research.
Goals of the Center
To build and develop an e-library system with advanced, modern, comprehensive and synchronized trends in the fields of information-library, suitable for the developing trend of libraries in Viet Nam and the world – To build an electronic library system with modern equipment and technology, able to connect with the library system of the units of the Ministry of Education and Training in particular and other library systems in general throughout the country – To supply fully readers’ requirements in learning and science research, as the same time to head to the needs of connecting, sharing, exchanging information resources among libraries inside the province, outside the province, in the region and the world, to form a global network, to become a popular and friendly library for readers, which is a bright point in the university library system in particular and the whole system of libraries in general.
The center has shown its ability to grasp the needs and realities of development of society in the renovation period as well as the efforts and the desire for further advance in the leading role of information management and documents to serve training activities and scientific research. To achieve these objectives, the Center has defined the important role of the application of the security control technology in building and developing the Center with a modern library and, in the future, the Center will become an Instructional Materials Center to enhance ability of serving training and scientific research of students and staff of the University in particular and outside partners in general.
In order to achieve these objectives at best, not only librarians should be skillful, but also material facilities of the Center should be invested all the time in the direction of modernization, especially innovation and modernization of the ability of management, network access, information resource distribution as well as the support of new technology to improve students’ self-research in order to change the training process into a self-training process with the purpose of attracting everybody to come the Center more and more, creating a friendly environment at the Center. This is a movement process which requires the staff effort of the Center in particular and enthusiasm of the University in general.
The Choice of an investment objective comes from the reality of a development process of the center of a leading university in the country. In order to innovate factors that make up training and research quality, firstly we have to innovate the technical infrastructure, the ability to apply information technology to management and research to supply information service and a structure of management in training and scientific research. This is the first breakthrough in all activities of the library. When the whole activity of the Center modernized by equipment: server system, computer station system, network equipment, system of e-library, management system based on RFID technology, closed-circuit television (CCTV) and equipment related to a digital library, interior equipment, open space designs,…..is a unified unit of a quality with complete initial conditions to continually innovate, integrate progress with the development of the whole society in general as well as the library information in particular.
Brief Introduction to the Current Center
- BUI QUANG DIEP, Director
- PHAN THI VAN HA, Specialist
- CHAU THI NGOC HA, Specialist
- HOANG NGOC PHUC THINH, Specialists
- The Decision of Establishment of the Center was received by Hung Vuong University, and the Center officially worked on August 14, 1995.
- Four months later, the Library quickly entered operation (on November 19, 1995) for promptly serving research, teaching and learning activities at the University.
- Today, the Library is renamed “Information and Library Center with its office on the 7th Floor- 736 Nguyen Trai Street, Ward 11, District V, Ho Chi Minh City.
- The Center area is about 50 square meters, divided into 3 stalls: a self-study stall, an office stall, and a book warehouse.
- The self-study stall can serve about 10 seats.
- Total books of the Library to the present are 15,242 documents with 9,639 subjects according to the training curricula of the Universiy.
- Documents consist of 13,211 in Vietnamese, 1,675 in foreign languages, 151 graduation papers and 205 dictionaries.
- CD-ROM: 541 CDs
- Newspaper and Magazines: 10 titles
- There are 8 subject catalogues
- Serve the activities of teaching, learning, training, science research, and expanding advanced applications of technological science (KHCN) and management of the University through use and the exploitation of documents available in the Library (handwritten, printed, copied, photographed, inscribed on all materials, electronic documents, databases on Intranet, Internet,…..)
- Manage information, update the contents of the University website, administer the object relational mapping (ORM), manage and exploit of online information to serve training, scientific research, management, operation and other activities.
- Advise the President to make a long-term, short-term, and annual plan of the Center, to organize all activities of information, documents, and the library of the university; aiming to build a plan to develop the Center into the University’s modern, informative, material, and scientific center.
- Manage information activities, online-offline communication of the University, develop communication information plans, especially communication channels on Internet, apply ORM online.
- Manage and communicate University’s activities on the website of Hung Vuong University – Ho Chi Minh City, at the address www.hvuh.edu.vn. Build, operation, and update information channels on other social networks.
- Set up video clips to popularize the University, apply advertisement of the university’s pictures online/offline.
- Supplement, develop, and update information sources to meet the University demands for teaching, learning, scientific research, and technology transfer.
- Set up the treatment, classification, arrangement, archive, and preservation of documents; set up a suitable searching system, build an access network, and the search for automated information.
- Establish service and guidance for staff, instructors, and students to exploit, search for, and use effectively the library resources at the Center in place and on the Internet through the serving forms in accordance with to the University’s regulations and the law regulations.
- Coordinate with the other units of the University, to receive documents and course materials published by the University, and approved scientific research, documents in seminars, training curricula, and course materials, lectures and other documents of the University; course papers, master theses, Ph.D. theses from staff, instructors, students, donations,…
- Research and apply advanced technology of scientific achievements to information and library works.
- Build a project and a plan and train librarians’ skillful abilities to develop qualified human resources in order to improve working efficiency. Participate in seminars, training courses of Associations, Departments/ Branches related to information and library works.
- Expand cooperation, exchange experience, information, documents, databases with other libraries in Ho Chi Minh City in particular, in the country in general, gradually modernize information, materials, and library works.
- Organize the management of the Center’s human resources and assets in accordance to the President’s arrangements, remove old and torn documents out of the Center according to regulations.
Extract from “The Museum of the Sutra.”