MISSION – VISION
MISSION – 2020
To provide a high quality labor force who is energetic, ambitious, cooperative, and creative in the context of global competition in the 21st century labor market.
VISION – 2030
To become a multidisciplinary and multisystem university, which will be in the region’s university rankings, actively integrate into the regional and global education, create all the conditions for the learner to execute their rights for lifelong learning in the knowledge-based economy.
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY
In realizing the policy of the Party and the State on socialization of the education sector and diversification of the forms of training persuant to the Resolution of the fourth Central Committee Session of the VII Party Congress, dated 14/01/1993, a group of intellectuals headed by the now deceased Professor Agrégé Ngo Gia Hy was planning to establish a private university in Ho Chi Minh City.
By September of 1993, Prime Minister Vo Van Kiet had signed Decision No. 240/TTg issuing the Statute for private universities. However, through considering, exploring and surveying the social opinions, seeing that opening a “Private” school in our country was still too new, on 02/01/1994 the Ministry of Education and Traning (MoET) promulgated the temporary Statute No. 196/TCCB on people-established universities signed by Professor Tran Hong Quan (then the MoET Minister).
Due to that adjustment, a number of intellectuals made the proposal to set up the Founding Council of People-established Hung Vuong University and received Decision No. 2395/QĐ-TCCB dated 03/11/1993 by the MoET granting recognition for it. The Founding Council had 9 members: the now deceased Professor Ngo Gia Hy as Chairman of the Council, Associate Medical Professor Truong Cong Can as Vice Chairman, and Messrs Tran Quoc Huy, Nguyen Nha, Nguyen Chung Tu, Diep Vi Nam (representing Mr. Tran Tuan Tai), Ha Binh Than, Phan Tan Chuc, and Vu Duc Thang as Members of the Council.
In more than a year of preparation for the establishment of the University, the Founding Council had conducted the following tasks:
- Marshaling an initial investment outlay.
- Obtaining a pretty spacious main office building at 197 Hoang Van Thu Street, Phu Nhuan District, Ho Chi Minh City, a training site at 691B Xo Viet Nghe Tinh, Thanh Da, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City, etc.
- Gathering the teachers who are enthusiastic about the career of education and training.
- Composing the Charter for People-established Hung Vuong University.
- Preparing in good time the academic contents for the study programs to be given at the University.
THE GUIDING PRINCIPLE AND MOTTOS
- Guiding principle: SCIENCE – DEVELOPMENT – ETHICS
- Mottos: From the day of its establishment, Hung Vuong University has constantly tried to realize the mottos:
- Take quality to be the foremost objective.
- Derive no personal profit.
- Promote to the utmost the proactiveness and creativeness of the students.
- Combine theory with practice, meeting the needs of the country and the social community, and for the progress of the world.
- Focus the curricula on “ESSENTIALITY, MODERNITY, VIETNAMNESS”
Having acquired the requirements, the Chairman of the University Founding Council, the now deceased Medical Professor Ngo Gia Hy, submitted a formal report to the MoET on the 26th of October, 1994. Following that, in the offical document No. 2568/TCCB, dated the 31st of July, 1995, the MoET Minister Tran Hong Quan sent a report to the Prime Minister proposing the establishment of People-established Hung Vuong University, and after that the University received the Approval Decision No. 470/TTg by the Prime Minister, dated 14/08/1995.
Hung Vuong University Ho Chi Minh City has its predecessor as People-established Hung Vuong University which was constituted under Decision No. 470/TTg dated 14/08/1995 of the Prime Minister.
On 14/05/2008, People-established Hung Vuong University was renamed as Hung Vuong University Ho Chi Minh City under the official document No. 4167/BGDĐT-PC of the MoET Minister.
On 19/05/2010, Hung Vuong University Ho Chi Minh City changed from a people-established university to a private university persuant to Decision No. 703/QĐ-TTg by the Prime Minister, and has since continued its activity and development until the present.
IDEAS FOR THE SCHOOL’S NAME
The founders gave the name Hung Vuong to the University with the following ideas:
- Bearing the name of the nation’s Progenitor is a great honor to the University. This encourages the faculty and students at the University to teach very well, to learn very well, making very many contributions to the country.
- Bearing the name of the nation’s Progenitor, the faculty, employees, and students at the University will always remember to learn and promote the beautiful traditions of the Hung Kings era, of the Van Lang culture. Those are:
The tradition of solidarity and lovingness among the members of the country: the peaceful alliance among 15 tribes to establish Van Lang Kingdom under the leadership of Hung Kings.
The tradition of seeing every inhabitant on the land of Viet as being born from the same mother (Au Co), in the same womb (compatriots), hence everyone must show affections and assistance towards one another with the flesh-and-blood feelings.
The tradition of solidarity struggling against natural disasters, against flooding, together building dams to protect production for an abundant, peaceful and happy life (the legend of Mountain spirit – Water spirit).
The tradition of overcoming hardships, gaining great strength in order to fight against invasion and protect the fatherland (the legend of the Saint Giong).
The beautiful traditions of Van Lang culture, the culture which laid the foundation for our national identity, still have the values kept until the present time (the legends of betel – areca, square and round rice cakes, etc…)
In addition to naming the University Hung Vuong, the founders had a statue of Hung King placed at the main building at 736 Nguyen Trai, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City, and took the 9th day of March on the lunar calendar, the pre-anniversay day of the Hung Kings Commemmoration Day, to be the University’s traditional day.
“The Hung Kings took the credit for founding the nation, we should get together to protect our land.”
Those are the words of President Ho Chi Minh delivered to the soldiers of the Vanguard Division 308 on 19/09/1954 (at the Well Temple).
MEANING OF THE UNIVERSITY’S LOGO
The new logo of Hung Vuong University (since 2017) is designed on two main color tones: the dark blue color combined with the red color for high points.
The dark blue color has been considered by humans from the time past as a mystical color and standing for trust, power, intellect and dignity. Moreover, the blue color is also the symbolic color of the ocean, the color of the sky which signifies a limitless vastness.
The blue color in the University’s logo represents trust in the future, an aspiration of exploring the humankind’s limitless source of knowledge, and also the self-assertion of Hung Vuong University Ho Chi Minh City.
The red color represents enthusiasm, strength and passion; the whole logo is designed in the Typography style with the stylized V symbol inserted into the University’s initials. This symbol is the bird’s wing representing dream, aspiration as well as a symbol for a book standing for knowledge. The three styled horizontal lines on the logo symbolize the upward stairs, representing the continuous development of the University in the new era.
THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- Mr. Dang Thanh Tam, Chairman
- Mr. Hoang Si Hoa, Vice Chairman
- Mr. Dang Nhut, Vice Chairman
- Mr. Nguyen Tri Ho, Member
- Mr. Vo Long Trieu, Member
- Mr. Phan Minh Toan Thu, Member
- Mr. Tran Thanh Huy, Member
- Mr. Phan Anh Tuan, Member
- Mr. Do Van Xe, Member
- Mrs. Su Ngoc Bich, Member
- Associate Professor Dr. Do Van Xe, Rector
- Associate Professor Dr. Le Bao Lam, Permanent Vice Rector
- Dr. Be Nhat Duc, MD, Vice Rector
- Mr. Nguyen Tri Ho, Assistant to the Rector
THE UNIVERSITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Advisory Committee is directly under the Board of Trustees of Hung Vuong University Ho Chi Minh City.
The Advisory Committee conducts consultancy on: strategy, planning, investment plans, the development of the University; statutes for the University’s organization and activity; modes of training, science and technology, international cooperation and educational quality assurance; the University’s student recruitment task, etc.
The members of the Advisory Committee are all the teachers, scientists, educational experts who have good ethical standards, professional prestige, experience in educational management, enthusiasm about the cause of building and development of Hung Vuong University Ho Chi Minh City, and are those who will help the University develop increasingly strongly.
- Dr. Nguyen Thanh My, meritorious teacher – Former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Thai Binh Duong University; Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees-cum- Managing Director of HCM City College of Economics and Technology; Chairman of the Saigon Economy – Education Group – Head of the Committee
- Mr. Bui Ngoc Au, MA – Former Deputy Head of the Personnel Office of the HCM City Service of Education and Training – Permanent Deputy Head
- Associate Professor Dr. Le Bao Lam – Former Rector of HCM City Open University – Deputy Head
- Dr. Nguyen Kim Quang – Former Vice Rector of HCM City University of Natural Sciences – Member
- Dr. Nguyen Duc Nghia – Vice Director of the Vietnam National University, HCM City – Member
- Associate Professor Dr. Do Van Xe – Former Vice Rector of Can Tho University Thơ – Member
- Dr. Vo Hong Duc – Director of the Center for International Training in Australia – Member
THE FIELDS OF STUDY
- Information Technology
Degree programs offered:
- Software Technology
- Communications and Computer Networks
- Computer Techniques
- Multisystem Communications
Objectives of the BS in Information Technology (IT): After graduation students will have knowledge in fundamental science and specialized skills in IT, have good communication skills in English and good comprehension of English-language IT documents, have good ethical standards and good health, meeting the requirements of the society in IT application.
- Postharvest Technology
Degree programs offered:
- Quality Inspection of Agricultural Food Products
- Agricultural Food Preservation
- Food Processing
The objective is to prepare students to become university-level technicians having good political quality and professional ethics, equipped with basic and specialized knowledge in farm product postharvest technology. The programs are geared towards the applied approach so that the students will have the ability to adapt themselves to the job varieties at corporations, science institutions, training organizations, or to start their career in agricultural food preservation and processing, as well as to have a serious attitude toward work, good life skills, communication skills and skills in group work.
- Construction Engineering Technology
The objective is to prepare students to become engineers in Construction Engineering Technology with good ethical standards, having specialized knowledge and skills meeting the current and long-term needs for construction and development in the construction field and of the society. Students are equipped with basic knowledge and the fundamental as well as specialized knowledge of the field so that they will be able to participate in survey and design, work execution organization, management of the civil and industrial construction works. After graduation students can work in corporations, companies, schools and research and training institutes, project management boards, etc in the fields of civil and industrial construction.
Field of specialization: Civil and Industrial Construction
Degree programs offered:
- Business Accounting
- Government Accounting
The objective is to prepare students to become BA holders in Accounting with good political quality, ethical standards and health, and have a good grasp of basic knowledge in socio-economic issues, business administration, accounting process of posting, analysis of business activities, and accounting policy planning. After graduation students can work at corporations, accounting sections in government ministries and branches, and state management offices.
- Finance – Banking
Degree programs offered:
- Public Finance
- Financial Risk Management
The objective is to prepare students to become BA holders in Finance – Banking with professional expertise, good ethical standards and necessary skills in order to perform the specialized work and management in the fields of finance and banking.
- Business Administration
Degree programs offered:
- International Business Administration
- Logistics and Supply Chains Management
- Medium and Small Enterprises Management
- Public Relations
- Personnel Management
- Career Start-up Management
The objective is to prepare students to become BA holders in Business Administration with good political quality, professional ethical standards and good health, having knowledge and synthetic thinking about business and economics…; after graduation students will have the ability to solve problems encountered by enterprises when engaging in business activities such as: business strategy planning, business organizing, market choice, production management, marketing, finance management, human resource management…; graduated students can work in domestic corporations and enterprises with foreign investments of different fields.
- Tourism and Travel Service Management
The objective is to prepare students to become BA holders in Tourism and Travel Service Management with high professional skills, good political quality, high professional ethical standards, and good health. The program provides students with general knowledge of the nature, culture, society related to tourism development; highly specialized knowledge in tourism administration; a profound understanding of professional activities in typical tourism enterprises such as hotels, restaurants, travel agencies. It also provides students with knowledge and skills in organizing and managing jobs in the fields of service provision, in the functional activities like finance, personnel, marketing of service enterprises, especially tourism, and providing the learner with essential skills in conducting tourism administration.
Fields of specialization:
- Tourism Services Management
- Travel Services Management and Tour Guiding
- Hospitality Management
- Hospital Management
The objective is to prepare students to become BA holders in Hospital Management with the abilities to organize and manage healthcare units and hospitals in the roles of managing director, department head or deputy head, and manager of functional offices; organizing and participating in management of public heathcare activities as well as healthcare programs of NGOs; managing, operating and being in charge of the economic duties or health management in businesses or educational organizations.
Fields of specialization:
- Hospital Quality Management
- Hospital Finance Management
- Healthcare Personnel Management
- Medical Equipment Management
The objective is to help students become competent in using English. The program also provides research information on the English language, histories, cultures, literature, and societies of the main English-speaking countries in the world. Simultaneously, in the socio-economic context of present-day Vietnam, students are also equipped with additional knowledge and skills through different courses in “English for Specific Purposes” such as Business English, English for Tourism and Hospitality, English for IT, etc..
The objective is to prepare students to become BA holders in Japanese with good political quality, good professional ethical standards and health, having skills in solving well the issues in their specialized field, meeting the requirements of the society and the economy in the process of international integration.
The objective is to prepare students to become BA holders in Chinese for Business with good political quality, good professional ethical standards and health, having skills in solving well the issues in their specialized field, meeting the requirements of the society and the economy in the process of international integration.
THE NUMBER OF GRADUATES
The total number of graduates from the University up to the year 2017 is 13, 979.
THE DIVISIONS AT THE UNIVERSITY
- School of Finance and Business Administration
- School of Foreign Languages
- School of Tourism
- Department of Hospital Management
- Quality Management Unit
- Computer Networks Management Unit
- Center for Information – Library
- Office of Academic and Student Affairs
- Office of Science Management and International Cooperation
- Office of Administrative Management
- Office of Finance and Accounting
- Office of Enterprises Relations
- Saigon Institute of Comunications Technology
- HVUH Language Center
THE SCHOOL SLOGAN
Accompany you building the future